browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Leeking Like a Sieve

Posted by on July 17, 2017

Here it is a quarter midnight Sunday and I’m finally in bed writing up my day.

Got a bit of a slow start, houseguests and Sunday.  Giggling with grandbabies over coffee and breakfast making.  Forgot to eat breakfast

Went about my regular morning routine, just a lot later. Quail, incubator/hatcher, chick house, cats, Margaret Garden poultry…

Dirt delivered bags of poultry feed to me in the garden and then we went out to the west pond together to measure the fire hose.  Dirt noticed the special valve and weed basket missing so off came the boots and socks, up went my work pants and into the mirey crag I went.  Trolling, in the true sense  for the missing piece.

It wasn’t to be found. Measurements were taken, evaluating glance was thrown at the crops and back to the garden proper I went.

Settled on the project du jour but headed back to the farm house when I realized I was empty stomached, thirsty and without anything to care for either plight.

Filled my gut, slaked my thirst, and kissed my haying husband good bye with a promise to somehow join him when needed.

Transplanted leeks for the next five and one half hours.  Two hours per ninty-foot-plus bed.  The last batch of leeks didn’t quite make it all the way to the end.  In the three four foot wide beds at the far end of East Market, rows of leeks were place eighteen inches apart, with a inch or so between depending on the size, or lack there of, of the seedling.

I’ll need to go back tomorrow and spread calcium – prilled lime – and turn the sprinkler back on to the beds.  Leeks are shallow feeders so I tend to not like to put the amendments on the bed before planting, but instead side dress. After the calcium and water, I will put compost in between the rows, one reason for the extra space between rows.  More towards fall I’ll go back and seed spinach and the like in between the rows of leeks.

At about 5:30 – 6 I headed back to the farm house, to tidy the kitchen, and make dinner for those who needed it.

‘Round about 7 p.m. I finally headed towards the town hay fields with a stop at the hay boss’ house while they finished up dinner and cooed over the babies.

We hit the hay field right at about 9 p.m. and left at 10 p.m. with a full load.  We were missing one of our stacker girls, and Dirt was driving instead of bucking, so out typical driver was on the trailer stacking.  Dirt not only drove but he also babysat Henry.

We followed the hay truck until it turned into its very own driveway, headed home with little chit chat.  I hopped out at the gate and entrance to the Margaret Garden to collect eggs.  In the way back to the house I swung into the chick shed area and put all to bed.

Then me, after collecting dishes, tossing away garbage and takin’ a quick dip in the tub.

One more day under the belt.



Comments are closed.